As if the nerves weren’t bad enough I found myself in a photography studio yesterday flying solo with equipment I couldn’t get to work. My tutor was unable to drop everything and run to help me so my bulging file of ideas went completely out of the window as plan B flew in. Thankfully my two friends are the best there are and threw themselves into being models despite the equipment failure (no doubt operator error).
Between you and me I think that they had the easiest job, after all they just had to be themselves. Although there is no doubt put someone in front of the camera and they spend 90% of the time trying to be something they want to be. Great portraits are made of the remaining 10% so as a photographer you’ve got to be on your game. It is easier said than done, you have to be looking, anticipating and hopefully not putting them off from being the real people that I know and love .
As my husband loves to point out, my lack of attention to detail gets me into trouble. I was so overwhelmed with everything I had to think about it was about half an hour into taking pictures I realised that I had forgotten to turn the room lights out making my carefully lit set a bit of a nonsense. Live and learn that’s what I say.
Now my friends are over our first photographic date I’m sure that we’ll be able to get out that dressing up box again and try out some of our most creative efforts next time around. For now, here’s a few of my favourite shots.
Just so you know, Stella on the left and Naomi on the right. Thank you ladies you did a marvellous job – threw yourselves into the spotlight – I couldn’t ask for better friends.